Obesity and related health issues is a growing epidemic. The average person gains up to 2Kg during the holiday season; hence it is essential to follow a structured exercise program during and after the holidays to offset the extra calories.
Your physiotherapist is qualified to prescribe a structured and custom exercise program, especially for people with special considerations (such as overweight individuals). In fact, exercise is the magic pill that could solve most weight-related ailments such as high blood pressure, diabetes, osteoporosis, heart disease and back pain.
Holiday fitness for your family
Exercise is important even when weight is not so much a concern. Do you have a hard time getting your family to be regularly active? Our team has several suggestions to help you and your family incorporate physical activities into your daily lives:
- Plan weekend family activities like soccer, orienteering, bike riding, gardening, swimming or dancing.
- You don’t need fancy gym equipment or expensive memberships to be active. Walking is excellent exercise. You can add improvised weights, if you like. Ask us, your physiotherapist what kind of exercises are best for you and your family.
- Have a bad-weather plan with indoor activities such as a game of Twister, or even a video game that involves lots of activity and movement (such as Wii or XBOX Kinect). Indoor trampoline centres and other similar businesses are excellent for family fun and exercise in any weather.
- Using rewards is great for motivating children (and adults). Just stay away from cake (that’s a bad reward).
- Be your child’s “exercise buddy” for fun and great bonding time.
There are lots of options. Just make it regular, challenging and see it to the end; it is too easy to relax and watch the rest of the movie on TV.
Not sure where to start with your exercise plan? Call us today and make an appointment to get you started with a structured exercise program. We will help you make exercise a part of your life. Your body deserves it.
Exercise and wellness is the BIGGEST gift you can give yourself (and your family) this holiday season.
To keep the body in good health is a duty… Otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.
Stop pushing so hard on the door looking for happiness. It opens inwards.