Rocking knees to the chest is one of the primary exercises to release the spasm in the lower back muscles and relieve the acute pain. Performed as a part of a sequence of spasm releasing back exercises to relieve acute back pain.
The correct way of rocking knees to the chest:
- Lie on your back on the bed or on a soft surface on the floor.
- Brace your low back by sucking your navel in hard. If your tummy is weak, push in with one hand on the front of the tummy for reinforcement.
- With the other hand behind your thigh, pull one leg up to the chest. As soon as the foot is off the bed you can use both hands to pull the leg on to the chest.
- Bracing your tummy in the same way, pull the other leg onto your chest and cross both ankles.
- Cup a hand over each knee and then move your legs so the thighs rest at 90Ì. Oscillate gently in this position (Fig.1)
- For high lumbar problems (Fig. 2), take your knees lower down the chest, let the ankles cross and link your wrists across the upper shins, below the knees (Fig. 3). Oscillate in this position.
Your own physical condition and diagnosis may require specific modifications or precautions. Before undertaking any course of self-treatment you should consult a doctor or physiotherapist.