Floor Twist for sciatica is a modification of yoga's Jathara Parivartasana, is an effective tool for stretching the hamstrings, glutes, piriformis, and quadratus lumborum muscles. Also may be useful for breaking down the adhesions and freeing up the sciatic nerve. Best performed as a part of a professionally designed spinal rehabilitation program, gets 'technical' - needs to be taught by a professional physio.Depending on which side the sciatica is felt to, this exercise is performed to differently - consult with a member of our staff.
The correct way to do floor twists
- Clear a large uncluttered space on the floor.
- Lie down on your back and bring both knees to the chest, one at a time.
- Place both arms outstretched on the floor at shoulder height with the palms facing the floor.
- Keeping both knees high, let both fall over to the right so the right upper thigh is lying along the floor. As the legs go over, try to prevent the left hand lifting off the floor.
- Make sure that both knees remain as high as possible on the floor with both thighs level, side by side.
- In this position, straighten the top (left) leg at the knee and take hold of the left foot with the right hand. If possible bring the left foot closer to the nose with the right hand.
- Hold for 30 seconds, bouncing the leg minutely by pulling on the toes.
- Repeat to the other side.
- Repeat each way twice.
Your own physical condition and diagnosis may require specific modifications or precautions. Before undertaking any course of self-treatment you should consult a doctor or a physiotherapist.
We do not warrant or represent that the information in this site is free from errors or omissions or is suitable for your intended use. We recommend that you seek individual advice before acting on any information in this site. We have made every effort to ensure that the information on our website is correct at the time of publication but recommend that you exercise your own skill and care with respect to its use. If you wish to purchase our services, please do not rely solely on the information in this website.